The Christmas holiday season is always a happy, festive and fun time of the year. Colorful lights, beautiful decorations, ornaments, hot chocolate, baking are amongst some of the things that come to mind. With this in mind I have a few suggestions of fun things to do during the holiday season this year in December.
The first idea is:
1) DIY Holiday Decoration Canvas Board
This is a vey fun project to do with your kids, nephews nieces, friends or just on your own. You put your own creativity into it and once completed you can put it up for decoration or display anywhere in your house. A DIY decoration is just as nice as a store bought decoration. For this art project you will need the following items:
- a large canvas board. These come in different sizes so you can choose whichever size you prefer. I like to use the large one though because that means I have more space to decorate! 😉
- Any holiday embellishments. To get an idea I will share what I used.
- Different holiday stickers. I was able to find different felt type stickers and it was actually a holiday crafting set that had different embellishments which basically included different kinds of felt or material stickers like sparkly red stockings, pine or Christmas trees, gift boxes, reindeer, snowmen, Santa Claus, snow balls and so forth.
- I also found this great holiday doodle book that was filled with decorative festive Christmas holiday backgrounds to draw on. However, instead I took one of the backgrounds I liked and used it as a background or template for my holiday canvas.
- I also had some pretty green beads in my craft tray that reminded me of the decorative balls that are used as tree hangers or decorations so I put that on the canvas too.
- I also got this beautiful flower or rose twine from the store and used it as a type of wreath that went around the message Happy Holidays. I printed out the message for the happy holidays but you can write it yourself too if you want.
2) Fun Holiday Baking Recipes
I have two fun baking recipes to share with you that I have made.
Peppermint Cupcakes Recipe
For this recipe you will need:
- Readymade cake mix like Betty Crocker. Ideal flavours to use are Butter Pecan, French Vanilla or Golden Cake mix. Bake according to package instructions. Usually for package cake mix obviously vegetable oil, eggs and water or milk is required. Or if you prefer you can bake them from scratch. For your convenience I have provided a link for an easy and simple recipe for cupcakes which is https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/vanilla-cupcakes/
- Vanilla frosting. Again it is up to you if you want to use ready made frosting as it is definitely more convenient. I like to use the French vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting by Betty Crocker. However, again I have included a recipe link for homemade frosting which is https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/vanilla-buttercream-frosting/39107a19-be94-4571-9031-f1fc5bd1d606
- Bag of Small round peppermint candies
- cupcake tray
- cupcake liners
The picture of the cupcakes I made are below!
Cute Reindeer Cupcakes
I had a lot of fun making this recipe! I got this recipe from this link which is https://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/reindeer-cupcakes I did change up the recipe a bit and made some changes. For example, for the eyes I used mini oreos and split them apart and used as the base for the reindeer’s eyes and for the pupil I used chocolate chips. For the nose I used M & Ms. For the antlers or ears I split the mini pretzels in half so I made like mini antlers. Another tip I have is that once the cupcakes have cooled and I have frosted and decorated them. I like to put them in the fridge for a bit just so that the icing can set. The picture of the cupcakes I made are below!
Homemade Rustic Pizza 😋
Pizza is always a nice meal to prepare at home especially during the cold weather season and month. Its nice aroma fills the house and is the ideal comfort food to have during this time of the month.
As we all know pizza is a pretty versatilze and open recipe. So when it comes to toppings there are so many options to choose from. For me when I made this pizza recently I used whatever ingredients I had in the house at the time and decided to be creative!
Ingredients (based on the way I made my pizza. Just a guideline and some suggestions 😉)
- Store bought pizza dough that can be rolled out in desired pizza shape. I used Pillsbury crescent pizza dough. However, usually in the grocery store there is a section, refrigerated, where they have homemade dough created from scratch and ready to roll out and make at home.
- Pizza sauce. I used about half a cup of Ragu sauce. The original flavour one.
- Two to three green onions sliced
- One to two green chillies sliced
- Yellow bell pepper sliced
- about a cup of ground lean chicken with green peas that I had cooked as a meal previously
- About a full cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1) According to the packaged dough instructions. I preheated the oven and I lined a rectangular shaped making tray (I decided to make the pizza in rectangular shape) with parchment paper and sprayed vegetable oil on it. Then I rolled out the dough in the desired shape onto the pan and used a rolling pin to spread it out. By the way I call it rustic pizza because I just roughly shaped it and didn’t bother if it wasn’t perfect. I also rolled the ends to give the effect too! 👩🏻🍳
2) Using a tablespoon I spread out the sauce onto the pizza dough. I then sprinkled the mozzarella cheese on it along with the other toppings and baked in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until the dough and topping is golden brown. Take out and let it cool for at least ten minutes before serving as cheese can come off. Upon serving I also sprinkled some red chilli flakes on top.
Holiday Gift Ideas 🎁
The Gift of Giving To Those in Need ❤️
We all know that during the Christmas holiday season it is a very special and especially meaningful gift when we give to those in need. There are many ways we can make this holiday season extra special for those in need which can include donating a brand new purchase toy to a toy drive so kids that are in the hospital or cannot afford to buy a toy can be cheered up and happy by getting a surprise and gift like this. Nowadays it is very common to find many toy donation boxes set up in different stores or super centres.
Another idea is to donate food to a food drive including non – perishable items or a special meal to a local food bank where individuals can enjoy a nice holiday meal or in general a nice meal.
Cash donation to a hospital or to a charity.
There are so many beautiful and festive items, accessories and so forth that you can gift to others during the 🎄Christmas holiday 🙂
There are many different gift cards you can purchase whether it is a cash gift card like a Visa or MasterCard (these types of gift cards are especially ideal when you cannot figure out what to give someone! 😀), music, cinema and so forth. However, if you know the likes, hobbies and interests of the person or friend you are giving the gift to you can give more of a personalized gift card. For example, you can give a Starbucks or Tim Hortons gift card (if you live in Canada 😉) to a person or friend who loves coffee. During this holiday season the cards have very cute designs and on the envelope where it includes To and From.
Personalized or Homemade Gifts
Personalized or homemade gifts are perfectly great ideas that can really make someone happy like homemade baked goods wrapped or placed in a pretty seasonal decorated tray or box. For some ideas again you can check my recipes above for two types of cupcakes! 👩🏻🍳👍
Another fun idea is a holiday bullet journal that you can design and give to a friend who you know is into journaling 📒📓. I have been watching these videos on YouTube by a girl whose name is Amanda Rach Lee. She is so creative and an expert when it comes to creating different designs, doodles and layouts for bullet journals. This holiday design one she created is especially nice because it can help you or the friend you are gifting it to organize tasks during the Christmas holiday season. I have provided the video below:
There are so many different beautiful gift baskets available for purchase at stores but you can easily make or assemble one at home too. There are many different themes or ideas you can go for which can include:
- Tea and cookies
- Hot chocolate
- chocolate lovers theme
- Or you can create DIY gift baskets and add fun items like this cute coffe cups and different flavoured coffee mixes box and add it to a basket for those that love coffee (like myself which is why I keep on bringing up this idea! 😀). Below are some pictures I took of different kinds of gift baskets available at the store during the Christmas holiday season:
Making your Greeting Cards Extra Special ☺️
To add a creative and easy special touch to the holiday greeting cards you will hand out to family and friends can be done by adding pretty embellishments like adding fun and festive holiday stickers like candy canes, Santa shoes, reindeers and so forth. These can be used to seal the envelope or to add to the front and inside of the card too! This year I got these ones below: